Waking up at 6am to hit a morning yoga class is not always an option for everyone. Nonetheless we’re sure you have heard of the amazing results people have had on their muscle joints and mobility from yoga. This is largely due to the gentle stretches involved with yoga positions that exercise joints which otherwise become stiff overtime. Keeping healthy circulation in muscle joints is the key to keeping pain and stiffness away. There are a few simple stretches that can be done in the morning or even behind a desk at work to make sure your joints are getting the attention they deserve. These stretches are meant to be a gentle introduction into relieving tension and therefore are suitable for most people.
A Few Simple Suggestions…
- Shoulder stretch. Shrug your shoulders by raising them both towards your ears. Additionally you can do circle motions forwards and then backwards. Repeat 10 times.
- Wrist stretch. Rotate your wrists clockwise 10 times and then switch direction by rotating counter clockwise an additional 10 times.
- Upper body and arm stretches. Hold your hands together above your head, palms facing towards the ceiling, and then stretch upward toward the ceiling. Repeat 5 times.
- Neck stretch. Tilt your head to the side, bringing your left ear towards your left shoulder till you feel a stretch. Alternate to the right side and repeat 10 times.
- Leg stretch. While sitting down, extend your right leg forward and then reach towards your toe till you feel a stretch. Alternate between legs.
- -Swap your desk with a standing desk with an ergonomic set up.
- -Make an effort to be more active even if it means taking a short walk on your lunch break
- -Stay hydrated! Our body is 80% water so it essential to keep the fluids flowing
- -Keep a comfortable pair of near your desk. If you’re returning e-mails or calls feel free to switch into something that offers more comfort.